Thursday, November 30, 2006

Welcome to the little jewelry farm...


In the year 2000, after about 10 years of making jewelry, I became frustrated when I couldn't find glass beads in color combinations I desired, so I took a class, acquired a torch and began making my own. I named my company Ranchorita because the idea of a little farm very much reflects my organic approach to beadmaking and jewelry design: I enjoy letting colors and forms lead me in unexpected directions, and I've discovered sometimes an odd twist turns out to be much better than the outcome I'd imagined, and happily so. My philosophy is everything matches or can be made to match. My sense of composition and lyricism is informed by my training in classical music performance. I hope you like the results.
I'll be posting jewelry pieces here for sale in some cases, and some pieces that I just love and will not be selling. Thanks for stopping by! Items available for purchase will be duly noted, and one may contact me via the email link on this page.
I'll be posting some information on bead manufacture and on purchasing hand-made beads from an artist. My lampwork beads are all made by me in my studio in Dallas, and have been brought gradually to room temperature overnight in a kiln. Kiln-annealing of glass beads tempers them to be more shock- and shatter-resistant. I guarantee all my bead and jewelry work, and will replace or repair any piece that should break or crack in the course of normal, gentle wear. Shipping within the USA is included in the sales price of all pieces.
Thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

Meg said...

"I enjoy letting colors and forms lead me in unexpected directions" - I am such a control freak I haven't gotten to that stage yet. My textiles are so predictable - and I like it like that. For now.

ranchorita said...

meg - Sometimes just letting go is the most liberating thing you can do. You'll get there. The work will inform you what it needs you to do...

FatQuarterQuiltFarm said...

YEAY!!!!! for anything that has to do with a FARM and a WOMAN who is MAKING COOL STUFF on it!!
ROCK ON RANCHORITA!!!!!!!!!!

Twisted Lady said...

Wow... I am blown away.

Absolutely beautiful.

All of it.

kelly barton art + design said...

your jewelry is amazing....i found
you through kim carney.

iam inspired!

Maven said...

Lovely stuff here, girlie:)

I'd be interested in seeing what you can do, or if you can do, apply your beadmaking mojo to glass buttons. I'd love to see what you could do... I'd be ALL OVER THAT if you could!

ranchorita said...

schnoobie - and we're all-organic! Yay, farming women!

blog whore - a great compliment from such a lovely jewelry maker as yourself - THANKS!

kelly - thank you so much for the lovely compliment - Kim Carney is a brilliant artist herself!

maven - Wow - cool - I'll see if I can drum up a button sometime soon. No promises - I haven't done that much non-mandrel-based work, so that could be interesting or liberating, depending how you look at it. We'll see!

Anonymous said...

Great jewelry for "granola generation" and young audience! Cool stuff!

Unknown said...

This is very very lovely. My eyes just enjoy looking at that picture very much. I make bead jewelry also but I have not tried out making my own beads though I've been thinking about it. Too many crafts going on I am resisting picking up another one!